Apple Mug Muffin by Civilized Cave Man Cooking
The name of the website should have been a giveaway. But I won’t digress. I discovered this recipe on pinterest, of course. Pinterest will be my doom, one day. *Update* Looking back I definitely feel like this type of recipe is overrated. I see them pop up everywhere, even in my Yahoo! news feed. Generally, I think the idea of it being super easy to do is misleading because every time I’ve tried one they taste like rubber and I’m far from being a newbie or bad baker.
- 1 tablespoon grass fed butter (or coconut oil)
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened applesauce (50 grams)
- 1 egg (61 grams)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (10 grams)
- 3 tablespoons almond flour (24 grams) or 2 tablespoons coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder (homemade)
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon apple, finely chopped
- pinch of crumbled walnuts
- pinch of cold butter
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe mug on lower power.
- Whisk in the applesauce, egg, vanilla and maple syrup until well combined
- Add almond meal, cinnamon, baking powder, and salt and stir for about 30 seconds.
4. Add streusel topping (optional) and microwave for 1 minute, 10 seconds
5. Let cool for a few minutes and enjoy!
- Combine using your fingertips, then sprinkle on top before microwaving
^ After 1:10 in the microwave
^Still quite qoopy 😦
^Back in the microwave for 30 more seconds
^Oh, this still doesn’t look good
OK, so the one on the right looks way better^
^Even after I added the walnuts, this muffin still looks sad.
I did NOT like this at all. It thought it was bland and had the consistency of wet scrambled eggs.
My Daughter, however, loved hers and even wanted to put maple syrup on it like an odd pancake. I should add that my daughter isn’t a picky eater, she’s up for trying anything – doesn’t mean she likes everything she eats, but at least she gives it a shot. This she loved.
So the verdict is divided. I thought this was a fail and my daughter thought it was a success.
PS. Here’s a picture of some really cute cats